Module 4: Design Your Signature System
You’ve identified the area of expertise you want to share and mapped out your proven process. But there are a few more steps you need to take before packaging it into a program that can guarantee success for others.
In this module you’ll dig deeper and refine your process into an easy to follow, step-by-step system that you can clearly explain to others.
Take the results you’ve identified and check that you have the flow you need to achieve the results you want. If not, organize them into a chronological order. What do you need to do first? What comes next? You want people to be able to follow the system and do the right things in the right order.
At this point, you may have many steps written down. Choose the major ones that move people forward at each stage of the process. Anywhere from 3 to 7 is common; more than 7 becomes overwhelming and no longer easy to remember or understand.
Take each step and write down the results you want your customers to get from that step. Within each step there will probably be 2-4 tasks they need to do to accomplish the defined outcomes. If you have more tasks than this, then you need to create another step.
How long do you or your clients need to complete each step? Or, how much time do you want to allow for each step? If the process is too short, then people won’t get the results they want. If it’s too long, there’s a risk they’ll lose momentum. Customers will want to know how much time it takes to get results for the whole signature system and for each step. This could be measured in days, weeks, or months. If you aren’t sure, ask yourself how long it took you to follow each step. Use those timelines as your initial guide, and you can adjust the timings from your original experience to align with your target market.
- For example, if you’ve perfected a health and fitness routine that fits into 30 minutes per day and enables people to start their day with energy and vitality, it might have taken you 3 months to try different things and come up with your results. Your signature system won’t take as long for a customer to implement, as you’ve already perfected the process for them. But you can’t expect them to change their old habits in just a week. You’d need to allow them enough time to adopt the process into their everyday lives, and give them time to actually see results.
Identify the most common challenge people will face at each step in your system and how they can tackle it.
- Turn your identified system into a step-by-step process that’s easy for people to follow.
- Be clear on the specific outcomes from each step.
- Quick Win Check the system you identified in Module 2 flows logically. If not organize it into chronological order.
- Using the System Outline Table in the Action Guide:
- Choose 3 to 7 major steps that move people forward at each stage of the process and write outcomes for each step. Then define the tasks in each step.
- Add in time frames for each step and then add that up to get the timing for the whole system.
- Identify the key challenge(s) at each step and your tactics for tackling it.